This article is for users wanting to install more than one HP printer on a single Windows XP computer. For example, a user who goes to two different offices with two different network types may find this useful or users who are finding that the usual HP installation software is removing their other HP printer.
Here is the how to:-
- Open Control Panel.
- Go to Printers and Faxes folder.
- Right click on Printers icon and click Properties.
- On the properties window, click on Ports Tab.
- Selecting the add port button there, a list of available port types will be displayed.
- Select ‘Standard TCP/IP Port’. Remember to select this as there may be a HP Port listed, do not select HP Port if its listed.
- Then press the button named “New Port”
- At this point the “Add Standard TCP/IP Printer Port Wizard” dialog displays.
- The only options are Next and Cancel, so you guessed it ->Next.
- At the next stage, you have to edit boxes labelled “Printer Name or IP Address” and “Port Name”.
- When you type in the IP address of the printer, the port name is automatically created with the same name. When you enter the last triplet of the IP address the prefix IP_ is pre-penned to the “Port Name” in the port name field, let it be as it is unless you really want to give a meaningful name.
- Also, when you enter the IP address the Port Type ‘RAW’, and Port ‘9100’, and Adapter Type Hewlett Packard Jet Direct should appear automatically.
- Go on and finish