Follow these guidelines to get the best quality print outs and results from your printer and cartridges:-
- Use only genuine original manufacturers cartridges
- Keep cartridges in the packaging until they are needed
- Don’t remove the protective tape from a new cartridge until just before you need it. Once the tape has been removed, do not reapply it
- When the protective tape has been removed, do not touch the contacts (the copper strip) or the nozzles
- Keep your print cartridges at room temperature – between 15° and 27°c
- When storing cartridges, keep them in an upright position, with their nozzles pointing to the earth. Not on their side, or upside down
- Print something out at least once a fortnight to keep the print cartridges in good working order
- Always turn off the printer by pressing the power button on the printer, rather than unplugging the printer. Turning off the printer allows the cartridges to be protected properly
- If you are removing a cartridge from the printer temporarily (for instance, removing the black cartridge in order to install the photo cartridge), put it in a cartridge protector. Figure 2: Use the cartridge protector
- If you are removing a cartridge from the printer temporarily (for instance, removing the black cartridge in order to install the photo cartridge), put it in an airtight plastic tub. Make sure nothing touches the nozzles. Do not use a plastic bag.
- If you intend to store print cartridges in a tub for a long period of time, place colour cartridges with the nozzles down, and black cartridges with the nozzles up.
- Do not transport print cartridges in the printer at high altitudes (such as on an airplane)
- Don’t forget to recycle your used cartridges, see article here.
Links for cartridges: HP business store and HP home user stores
Just a note: See if you can get a customer discount from HP if you buy online. Just have a look here to see what special offers are available.