Update: Adobe Flash 9 Windows Vista Fix

Some people are still having trouble fixing Flash in Windows Vista, despite trying my original fix back in February. I am getting masses of emails and comments about it, mostly [fortunately] to say a successful fix, but a few not. So here goes with another line of attach:-

Go to the Control Panel > Choose Programs & Features > look for anything which is called ‘Adobe Flash Player’ or ‘Macromedia Flash Player’ and uninstall it. Make sure Internet Explorer is closed before you uninstall.

Download and install Flash from the following link (this is a manual install and not the usual Adobe Flash installation (but it is dead easy to do!): Adobe Flash Player download

Then you must restart the machine. Again, some people seem to be putting their machine into sleep mode and not actually restarting the machine. To make sure you restart do the following:-

Press Start > The ‘>‘ arrow to the right of the padlock symbol > Choose Restart

How to restart in Windows Vista

Then try the original post I did back in February: thetechangel.com/blog/2007/02/16/flash-player-and-windows-vista-fix/

If that still does not work for you try going to (in Internet Explorer):-

• Tools >
  • Internet Options >
  • Choose the Programs tab >
  • press the manage ‘add-ons‘ button >
  • In the window make sure that ‘Shockwave Flash object’ is enabled (enable/disable options are at the bottom of the window).
  • Then OK your way out of the windows
  • Close IE and then start it up and see what happens.
This entry was posted in Uncategorised. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments

10 comments to Update: Adobe Flash 9 Windows Vista Fix
thetechangel users pre-moderation: Every single comment is checked before it appears on the blog.

1. Rhys says:

Look man. The problem is, not all of us have a “security” tab under options. I know mine doesn’t and I too am using vista. Vista is bad, its not just flash thats the problem, it thinks programs are crashing when they are loading!!

2. Rhys says:

Aha found security now

3. Joe says:

I did ALL the steps you suggested and still got issues.
    Any other ideas?

Thanks

4. Richy says:

ugh why cant this be as easy as eating

i did everything but when i dl it i dont have the FlashUtil9b.exe
    its the FlashUtil9e.exe only so i dont know what to do anymore… help asap?

5. Jonny says:

Found a solution! In the folder C:/Wnidows/System32/Macromed/Flash, make sure you do not have more than 1 FlashUtil9_.exe. If you do (in my case it was 9c and 9d), move the older one to your desktop and run the newer one. It will ask you to upgrade your flash. Let it upgrade and install. Then it will prompt you to restart the system. Once restarted, it worked fine for us! good luck all!

6. garrychang says:

Not my luck! Jonny! I still suffered in this problem even I run ***9d and restart my computer. I also did all the steps suggested above, but cannot get away from this issue. I installed firefox to run flash now.

7. fabdav says:

My problem is that IE works fine with flash and java, but no sound in mozilla….

I’ve tried the fix you’ve shown here, but, alas to no avail…

I have a laptop that works fine in both, but my desktop… no go…

It seems like no sound at all works in firefox…

any ideas?

8. dugy07 says:

it still doenst work iv tried everything everything u have done work for everyone elese but not me 🙁

9. jeremyP says:

Thank you SO MUCH for the Shockwave Flash Object – enable advice – it fixed it for me.
    VERY MUCH APPRECIATED
    Regards Jeremy

10. raj says:

what about this problem for google chrome?