Flash Player 9 and Windows Vista Fix

I installed Windows Vista Ultimate last weekend, and like many people I found that the flash player did not work on many sites including YouTube etc.

Well, the good news is I think I have the fix that many of you have been looking for:

1. Navigate your way to:
  • Computer >
  • C: Drive >
  • Windows >
  • System32 >
  • Macromed >
  • Flash
  1. Right-click over the file ‘Flash9b.ocx’ and chose ‘properties’.
  2. Dog on a skateboard - video test - theopenworld.com video searchIn properties choose the ‘security’ tab > Click on the ‘everyone’ account or your own Windows account profile, and the button called ‘edit’ and then tick the box called ‘allow full control’ and also choose your own Windows local account name to have full control.
  3. Repeat this process for the file ‘FlashUtil9b.exe’.
  4. Once you have done this for both files run the ‘FlashUtil9b.exe’ file and it should install and update, the computer will then tell you to restart. Do so and you should find that YouTube and other sites that use flash now work.

Note: if you have files with different file names i.e. FlashUtil9f.exe or FlashUtil9c.exe – the same practice still applies as shown above.

Share with other Blogberry users how you get on. Click here to get talking – you might like it! Returning users click here.

Update: March 22nd 2007

For those of you who are still having a little trouble, try this additional list of instructions:- thetechangel.com/blog/2007/03/22/update-adobe-flash-windows-vista-fix/

Update: October 23rd 2008

Now that Flash Player 10 is out, users may find this posting much more relevant: thetechangel.com/blog/2008/10/adobe-flash-player-10-fix-for-vista-xp/

Note added [15.09.2008]:-

Over a year and half on since this was originally posted here, it’s still a massively popular article. But on a slightly more serious note please don’t steal content from here i.e. copy and paste this onto your own site, forums or anywhere else. From experience, it’s not much fun hearing other people call your work their own, or implying it’s their own. You’re more than welcome to link back, ping back or trackback to the post though. Better still, use the social bookmark links below to share it on various sites. Many thanks!

This entry was posted in General. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments

35 comments to Flash Player 9 and Windows Vista Fix
thetechangel users pre-moderation: Every single comment is checked before it appears on the blog.

1. baM says:

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Fi Barrett says:

thank you x infinity!!!!!
    can now play all my favorite games. Was ready to jump up and down on my computer!!!!! THANK YOU

3. dave says:

Excellent. Follow your moves exactly and you have FLASH player back. excellent. thanks

4. Jim says:

Followed the instructions to a “T” and nothing worked, when I went to IE internet options on suggestion 2, Shocwave Flash is not showing as an option. Any suggestions to getting Flash to work in my Vista Home Premium config???

5. donna says:

I have a 62bit browser…it doesn’t work! boohoo

6. HelloWorld says:

Peace people

We love you

7. You can also do the exact smae thing like this >
    How To Make all Flash content play automatically in IE7 or Windows Vista June 2007

You have probably noticed most flash will not play at all, and what does play has to have the
    flash’s active X installed each time in Internet Explorer 7 and/or Windows Vista, and even then
    you will find that it still will not work.

This is simply a “Permissions” and “Default Player” problem that has a easy and permanent fix.
    If you are just browsing the web or plan to create a flash web site, you will need to make these
    few changes listed below in order to do either of these things. Please keep in mind, millions
    of Internet users will never make these changes, this means making a web site with flash content
    will only reach less than 40% of the people you target.

My personal opinion is, every IE7 user should make these changes. Not doing so will limit
    your web browsing and create many other veiwing problems everyday. Flash is not going away
    anytime soon, Microsoft and Adobe do not see eye to eye, so now it is your job to make the two
    connect. At one time it was all done for you, now it is all up to the end user.

1. With IE7 open, click (TOOLS) at the top right corner of the browser.
    In the drop down menu click (INTERNET OPTIONS)
    2. Now click the (PROGRAMS) tab at the top. Click the (SET PROGRAMS)
    button at the bottom.

3.Click (ASSOCIATE A FILE TYPE OR PROTOCOL). Scroll down until you see
    ( .flv ) files extension on the left side in the list. If Internet explorer is
    not set as the default program on the right, then you have found half the problem.

4.Select the ( .flv ) extension and then click (CHANGE PROGRAM) at the top right.
    Browse until you have found the IE7 icon “application” and double click it.

You have solved the first of two problems. Now you will need to set “Permissions”.

1. With IE7 open, click (TOOLS) at the top right corner of the browser.
    In the drop down menu click (INTERNET OPTIONS)

2. Click the (ADVANCED) tab at the top. Scroll down until you see
    (ALLOW ACTIVE CONTENT TO PLAY IN FILES ON MY COMPUTER).

3. Put a check mark next to that item and click (APPLY) at the bottom.

4. Set IE7 as the Default browser if you have not already. You can do this by
    clicking (TOOLS) at the top right corner of the browser.
    In the drop down menu click (INTERNET OPTIONS)
    Now click the (PROGRAMS) tab at the top and click (MAKE DEFAULT) at top.

Welcome to the new FORCED WORLD OF FLASH CONTENT !

Josh Bartholow

8. Richy says:

uhm when i go to official site and try to dl the info bar wont pop out or show up….. any help here friend?

9. Richy, are you using the administrator account on Vista? Are you running 64-bit vista?

10. Allie says:

Please help… I am running 64 bit vista as the administrator… I’ve had to reinstall vista after my pc not shutting down, now I’m unable to access the simple things like msn games on my 64 bit IE browser…

11. Sara says:

I followed everything from this post and everything that Josh Bartholow posted and still can not get flash to work. Also in the post that Josh Bartholow made it says to find .flv it didnt show up in my list. Could that cause the problems? Is there ANYTHING else I can do to get this to work

12. The Editor says:
  13. Sara says:

Unfortunatly I also tried that, Do you happen to know of any other fixes out there?

14. The Editor says:

Sara,

Sounds like your not in an administrator Windows account.

15. Sara says:

How do i make it an administrator account. I am the only user of this pc so there are no seperate accounts set up

16. Sara says:

I checked and under my name it says Administrator (I am also the only user of this pc) Then I did some looking around and found that in vista just because it says you are the administartor it does not mean you actually are sooo…. how do I make so I really am the administrator?

17. The Editor says:

One other thing then. Make sure your AntiVirus is up to date, and that your AV or firewall is not blocking the software.

18. Outlaw2007 says:

Thanks,Vista is so complicated!!

19. Jo says:

Thankyou for your help – you are my hero today:-)

20. Crawl says:

when I go to C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash I have no file called ‘FlashUtil9b.exe’ this is what I have: Flash9e.ocx (ActiveX Control),FlashUtil9e ( Application), FIDbg9e.ocx (ActiveX Control), install ( Text Document) and uninstall_activeX (Application). Help Please I’ve been without sound on my flash for 4 out of the 6 months I’ve owned my new pc. Thanks

21. Crawl says:

I just went to this: https://thetechangel.com/blog/2007/03/22/update-adobe-flash-windows-vista-fix/ and did the manual install and now have NPSWF32.dll (Application Extension) but still no FlashUtil9b.exe’ and still no sound. I’m running Vista Home Premium 32bit

22. GeePee says:

“I navigated my way to:
    C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash
    Then right clicked over both ‘Flash9b.ocx’ and ‘FlashUtil9b.exe’, and chose ‘properties’.
    In properties choose the ’security’ tab > Click on the ‘everyone’ account, and the button called ‘edit’ and then tick the box called ‘allow full control’ and also choose your own Windows local account name to have full control.
    Once you have done this for both files run the ‘FlashUtil9b.exe’ file and it should install and update, the computer will then tell you to restart. Do so and you should find that YouTube and other sites that use flash now work.”

I have followed those instructions to the letter apart from ‘FlashUtil9b…. had an ‘e’ instead of ‘b’…
    I did not understand the ”choose your own Windows local account’ as I did not find the option to do that….could you clarify, please?

I have ascertained that is in the list of programmes in ‘Install/Uninstall, in Control Panel, Adode ActiveX latest version is installed; similarly, in IE7 AddOns, Shockwave Flash Object > ActiveX Control is enabled (Flash9e.ocx)

This all means, I should be able to view Flash content in YouTube – but I still cannot.

Any more suggestions. I have uninstalled this programme re-installed and updated so many times now that its getting really frustrating. It works fine in Firefox.
    Gee-Pee

23. Pingback: Reg Cleaners

24. Pingback: The Must Fix List For Microsoft Office 2007. | 7Wins.eu

25. tarun sharma says:

I am using vista 64bit home premium ,I don’t have any macromed<flash folder in system32 ,instead i have it in SysWOW64 and my flash 10 , & shockwave are installed there but this flash does not work for my IE7 but works fine for mozilla .I need IE to view some meditating sites which only works in IE, it reqiures flash player activex to be installed but it gives error tn_19166 when ever i try to install it. I tried all the solutions given by adobe and also changed security settings of IE7,in manage add ons there was no flash flayer installed .what should I do.
    NOTE:
    when installing activex it fails to intall when registring: C:\windows\system32\macromed\Flash\Flash10b.ocx

I think it should be installed in syswow64 not in system32.

please help!!!!!!

26. alan kardec says:

muito bom e nescessario …
    (very good and NESCESSARIO …)

27. catherine j fusco says:

I’ve gone to Microsoft whenever I had a problem,but it never really cleared-up my issues..in fact not “one” word,no matter how it was sent,STILL said “no such message is available”or change your wording,which I cannot stand..to be subjected to such insipiness…
    Now,I saw a POP-UP,went to Options,said..Active X? [Adobe flash or acrobat Reader,which is seen when I clicked one of the links on “this site” then a download came on [5min’s] % player_8_9_admin_guide_pdf from http://www.adobe.com..Temp Files download..don’t tell me I screwed up,I’ll die!!Accelerationsetup.exe troubleshoot Adobe Acrobat Reader…Penteledata web help [my isp] Windows Vista IE7..now asking that I upgrade to 8,but should I?
    Important! Websight cannot open bec- your comp is low on system resources,most likely comp low on memory or Unstable? This happenes only on lettersproblem {at} salon.com[first saw this where no matter how I tried couldn’t get to them to Contact..So,now it’s Adobe Acrobat reader,what about the Active X option?should I click that? which one will stop pop-ups,when they happen?I’m worried!

• The Editor says:

Active-X objects are little programs that run within Internet Explorer. You should be careful not to install Active-X objects from untrusted / unknown sources, but downloading these from Adobe.com will be just fine.

28. catherine j fusco says:

how MUCH Active X should I have,it asks for an option BUT when I look under what the possible problems would be,it sounds risky again!!As you have already noticed,I am not so savy,here..but an intellect,for sure,we’re all bad at following directions,we only know who produced a movie,the music,giving info on what year what happened…but I don’t know what system I have,just IE7,Windows Vista/Microsoft/ACER Lap..also Ca,security..could not afford Norton..what do I do after Ca. is no longer securing me in Nov?Is there a free program,like Macafee
    how to erase the Ca..first?

29. blue says:

i dont see macromed after system32 and i am running vista

30. dutchskyblue says:

I finally was able to fix my flash by enabling it in add-ons.

31. Mr. Amazing says: